Wednesday, May 12, 2010

At the end, a final look back

I have learned a great amount from life drawing and some of the them I am still working on. Drawing the sea shells has greatly improved my understanding to the structural approach to drawing. By my last shell drawing I can say that I have mastered that technique. Sitting through the class lectures on the different muscles and building the muscles on the manikin has greatly improved my understanding of the artistic anatomy. I have not quite mastered this objective, because I can not draw the major muscles on the live figure unless my manikin is next to me. An on going objective is refining my mark making skills. When I stated the class I was very bad at cross contours but as the months went on my mark making improved. I know I have not mastered it, but I think mark making is an on going skill that changes as a person does. The final objective that I have mastered is communication. Doing the blog posts every week has expanded my thought process about life drawing. It was always an enjoyable challenge trying to figure out what to write about each week. I tried to write about things that reminded me of life drawing but not necessary were drawings that I did in class that week.

There has been many things that I have improved on since midterm. The biggest one is my shell drawings. They have greatly improved since my second shell drawing. What helped me was going in to see Amy and ask her how to show foreshortening on my shell. Another area that I have improved on has been my cross contours on the long drawings. I am not able to see how a line can show a big amount of information. Looking at other peoples drawings and asking them how they were drawing helped me to strengthen my cross contours. The last area that I have improved on was the gesture drawings. I have been very aware of how much distance there is between the rib cage and the pelvis. Looking more and studying the model has helped me work on this.

The line quality that I have learned in life drawing I will use for sketching out ideas more accurately. Also, the drawing eye that I have strengthened this past few months I will use for every day sketching. The final item that I will use from life drawing is about blogging. I do enjoy blogging every week. I have learned through AIGA that blogging is an important networking item to have when you are in the graphic design field. So, I hope I end up using it during the summer to let people know what art I am doing and what I am looking at.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kollersk/

No comments:

Post a Comment