Thursday, February 25, 2010

Walking through the Walker

This past week I went to the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis for the first time. I was so excited, but as I was walking through the different galleries I become very confused with the art I found. In the Benches & Binoculars gallery they had 90 famous paintings from all different artists. The part that I did not like was the paintings were so high up you could not appreciate them as much. Other than that the instillation by Robert Irwin called slant/light/volume, I found to be the piece that moved me the most.

The piece is not like any other piece at the Walker. You walk into a white room that is not lit so most of the walls are gray. Then you look at the main part of the piece which is a slanted area of the room that is lit with translucent scrim. This gives the the room a relaxing and peaceful feeling when you sit and look that the white. I never knew how something so simple could have such a powerful effect on a person. I would go back to the Walker for just this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment