Sunday, April 11, 2010

From flower to shell


This weeks blog is about Macy's flower show and how it relates to life drawing.

I was not in class Thursday because I was on a field trip to the cities. I was touring different printing companies for three days with the Stout Typographical Society. On Thursday after we were done with our last company we had free time so I ended up going to Macy's flower show. When I entered the 8th floor viewing area all I could smell and see was spring flowers blooming. The flower that caught my eye was the Calla Lily.

The Calla Lilly is my favorite flower because of its simplicity. As I looked closely at the flower it started to remind me of my shell. The veins and the cone shape opening were the giveaways that reminded me of the shell. The hardest part in drawing the shell is the opening and studying the Calla Lilly for a short amount of time gave a little help to drawing my shell over the weekend.

There was a lot of different flowers at the show and I am glad that I was able to see after many years.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you tied this to life drawing. Way to go! ;)

    ReplyDelete